I’m an accidental home-cooking foodie. I don’t usually go to the kitchen with the goal of creating a masterpiece, I’m more the type who, like many, buy shit they don’t need and end up having to figure out what to do with them.
Just like the time I bought a huge bundle of parsley because I had a 50p change from my fresh produce guy. It was those “might as well” turned “what now” moments. I was so excited about how I can get this ginormous bundle of parsley for so little, that I just thought it wasn’t such a bad idea.
Beaming like an idiot, I told my boyfriend about my bargain. He then laughed at my decision to buy “the most boring herb ever”. He is probably right for making fun of me. Parsley is a garnish. That’s pretty much it.
Why did I buy an outrageous amount of garnish leaves?!
Let’s face it, how much parsley-garnishing will you be doing in a week? Fail! My parsley bundle was facing a sure trip to the bin, and I hate food wastage!
Luckily, I had some cashews lying around and thought it would be worth a try to turn it into pesto. The final result was surprising, it was earthy from the parsley, and sweet from the cashews. It tasted almost like avocado. If you’re like me who likes that bite of bitterness in avocado, you will enjoy this!
Instead of letting a bundle of herbs go bad, I ended up with pesto that I happily snacked on for days! Thank god for imagination and handheld blenders. Lesson learned. Next time, I’ll take the change, please! On second thought, I’ll get another bundle of that parsley. Why not.
Parsley and Cashew Pesto
- a bundle of parsley, approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- approximately 1 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Separate the parsley from its longer stalks.
- Start roughly blending the parsley, to be followed by the cashews, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Taste and season as you go!
- The cashews will give the sweet buttery taste to the pesto, but you can try other nuts as well.
- Try this with pasta or a piece of toast!
- Store in a jar and enjoy for days!
Try it and let me know what you think!